Vegetation is one of our greatest allies in the fight against surface water pollution. Vegetation has the ability to filter and treat many of the contaminants found in runoff before it enters the storm system.
In fact, some of the stormwater control measures use a vegetated system like grassy swales to treat stormwater and free it of contaminants.
Here are some tips:
- Plant areas of your lot that do not have cover.
- Keep bare spots out of your yard.
- Make green choices in landscaping. Consider options like mulch, stone or pervious concrete rather than hardscaping with impervious concrete or asphalt.
- Direct downspouts into porous material and away from paved surfaces.
- Keep a buffer between sources of pollution and surface water.